The draft mandate includes objectives under five headings:
- Improving our health and our healthcare
- Putting patients first
- The broader contribution of the NHS
- Effective commissioning
- Finance and financial management
- Increase the number of Quality Adjusted Life Years for people in England with long term conditions to X by 2015; X by 2018; and X by 2023.
- Improve recovery from illness or injury through increasing the number of Quality Adjusted Life Years for NHS patients in England by X by 2015; X by 2018; and X by 2023.
- Improve patient safety, reducing Quality Adjusted Life Years lost to NHS patients in England through avoidable harm (within NHS facilities) by X% by 2015; X% by 2018; and X% by 2023.